Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

christos@ wrote:

> On Mar 14, 11:36pm, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage
>
> | Silent possible installation failure we saw in 6.0 as mentioned in PRs
> | was bad enough for users.
> |
> | What is "good" on the other hand?  Design?  Secure during installation?
>
> I think consistency and old code elimination counts... I think we can
> test sun2 and sun3 with TME.

Well, "old code eliminations" gives nothing to users.

I would rather like to see a proper migration plan
how to eliminate it without regressions, especially on install.
(If installation fails we won't get possible new users)

In pre-6.0 days compat pty nodes were removed
from MAKEDEV all target without annoucement, then
a certain number of Tier-II users failed to install
on their favorite machines with unclear "openpty() failed"
messages during installation.

One possible kludge is adding "file-system PTYFS" into conf/std,
but I don't think we can make consensus with it.

---
Izumi Tsutsui