Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

christos@ wrote:

> | - there are so many ramdisk lists
> | - some ports still have 1440KB restriction due to installation floppy
>
> These are detected during build...

It is a bit annoying to shrink ever growing kernels...
sun2 and sun3 have size restriction due to bootloader, for example.
(Of course I know these poor ports should retire in near future)

> | - few people will bother to maintain such lists just for installer
> |
> | The point of my PR is "unfortunately we always lack man power,"
> | as no one have take a look at the problem even after 6.0.
> |
> | If you can sweep all image list files and kernel config files
> | without regressions, it's fine for me.
>
> There is no way to test many of those things. What I was suggesting was:
>
> 1. kill ipty from all the MAKEDEV lists
> 2. add mount(PTYFS) to sysinst.
> 3. add file-system PTYFS to all the kernels.
>
> If the floppies fit, then it has a good chance to work... What can go wrong?
> (famous last words)

The "3. add file-system PTYFS to all the kernels"
seems a bit hard as we saw on PR/46812 and PR/47123
(we had to add ipty or opty into all MD MAKEDEV).

I can see your reasonable goal, but we need to consider pros and cons.
That's all.

---
Izumi Tsutsui