Re: Interrupt storm mitigation needed

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:

> Your new wrapper doesn't grab the sc_intr_lock mutex, so it fails the
> KASSERT in uhci_intr1().  I'll add the enter and exit calls to the
> wrapper and try again -- after dinner.  :)

I have it running, now, and the initial impression is that it works very
well.  The machine is talking nicely with the UPS over the USB serial
interface, I've done a 'cvs update' of the NetBSD source tree, which
would normally cause a number of hangs, and I'm building a kernel as I'm
writing this.  Absolutely no incidents so far.

The uhci pins on the ioapics are chalking up a few interrupts, but not
many, and no bursts.  Here's a snapshot from a running 'vmstat -i 10':

interrupt                                     total     rate
cpu0 timer                                   121654      100
ioapic1 pin 14                               183977      151
ioapic2 pin 0                                136176      112
ioapic0 pin 16                                10623        8
ioapic0 pin 18                                16565       13
ioapic0 pin 23                                28335       23
ioapic0 pin 14                                   11        0
ioapic0 pin 4                                   394        0
Total                                        497735      409

This is with an uptime of 21 minutes, and it's been quite active the
whole time.  Oh, and the various interrupt lines are:

amr0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 14
wm0: interrupting at ioapic2 pin 0
wm1: interrupting at ioapic2 pin 1
uhci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16
uhci1: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 19
uhci2: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 18
ehci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 23
cmdide0: using ioapic0 pin 23 for native-PCI interrupt
piixide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14
piixide0: secondary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 15
radeon0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 18 (radeon)

I'll keep pushing it, and watching for events.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"