Re: Invalidate page cache

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 05:56:40AM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Chuck Silvers <chuq%chuq.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > you can use msync() with MS_INVALIDATE.
>
> That cannot not help with vnode cached pages, right?

(matt already gave you the answer you wanted but...)

yes, msync(MS_INVALIDATE) works for vnode (or any uvm_object) pages too,
the difference is just that a dirty vnode-backed page is
written to backing store before being invalidated.

but if you just want something for hand testing and are running as root,
then the failed-umount trick is more convenient.  I use that myself.

-Chuck