NetBSD kernel project

Hello,

I am Subhashish Pradhan, a 3rd year Undergraduate in Computer Science
at IIIT Bhubaneswar[1].

I am interested in the project "Make /boot.cfg handling machine
independent" listed in the NetBSD wiki's projects page[2].

I would like to take up this or any kernel/networking project for my
undergraduate project/thesis.

Since I am a beginner, I'd like some initial guidance as to attain a
level of familiarity with NetBSD. Are any books /papers required or
the project's (read - organization's) documentation will be enough?

Also do I need to directly contact the listed mentor? I guess that is
for GSoC students.

Sincerely,
Subhashish Pradhan

1 - http://www.iiit-bh.ac.in