Re: Tru64 AdvFS porting to NetBSD - 2. status 2014-10-11

Hello,

> Are you sure a new dtrace provider would not be the way to go?

Yes. I believe that internal performance tracing and tracking locks is misdesign (also not very portable). I'm not familiar with DTrace, more with Linux tools (perf, valgrind) and my general plan was to debug it with librump in Linux.

Of course the first milestone is not performance optimization but getting it well integrated with NetBSD and stable. That's why I took Tru64 long-term tested release, not HP/UX that was never tested in production.

Some checks will be needed anyway, like function assumes that a lock is acquired in a certain function - with asserts such bugs will be narrowed-down quickly.