re: detect valid fd

> prlw1    cloexec     2336   10 /usr     7439186 -r--r--r--   58736 r
> prlw1    cloexec     2336   13 /home    1375614 -rw-r--r--      18 r
>
> fd 10 is /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/VeraSeBd.ttf
> fd 13 is /home/prlw1/.xsmstartup

looks like X has some close-on-exec problems as well.  xsm is probably
not too hard to track down, but the font one might be.

you could run "ktrace -id startx" when firing up X, and then see where
these are opened and see if you can find what's missing to make them
closed...

the test that is failing for freedesktop bug 83899 looks like not so
much a bug in netbsd proper (kernel, or libc -- granted, christos did
just fix some stuff we should pull up), but a bug in something X11,
your shell, or some other userland component.  (there's also an argument
to be made that the test isn't really valid.  why shouldn't i be able
to pass fds around here?  but there are security-based arguments that
also apply here.)

.mrg.