Re: Device node creation when major number is dynamically allocated

In article <53AC78B6.9090103%runbox.com@localhost>, Jan Sucan
<sucan%runbox.com@localhost> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am interested in NetBSD kernel and I have written a simple character
>pseudo device driver module which calculates Fibonacii numbers. It works
>but there is something I am not certain of.
>I don't know how to create device node without having to know major
>number allocated dynamically when the module is loaded. In earlier
>NetBSD versions (before module(7) framework) there was -p option to
>modload command specifying post-install program. One of the arguments to
>this program was the character device major number.
>Now, my module prints the character device major number to system
>console and I use it in mknod command. Is it good approach or there is
>some functionality analogous to the mentioned -p option in current
>NetBSD versions?

I don't see anything like that. Perhaps there should be a way to query
a module about this. For now the only thing I can think of is to use
sysctl to register the value, and then have something query the value
of the sysctl variable you set in the module to find the device major
number...

christos