Re: LG CRD-8322B does not work

Hi,

> I have LG CRD-8322B CD-ROM drive that is shipped with Sun Ultra 5.
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <CRD-8322B, 1998/09/24, 1.05> cdrom removable
> I have received some comments.
> my problem may be caused from bad CD-R, or my CRD-8322B is broken.
> I believe "CRD-8322B, 1998/09/24, 1.05" has problem.

Old enough to have a proprietary command set. But above line
and also the internet say it has IDE/ATAPI connection. So it
might already be governed by SCSI/MMC.

In this case it might be worth to watch a program like cdrecord or
xorriso trying to inspect the loaded medium while their SCSI command
log is enabled:

  cdrecord -v -V dev=...?... -msinfo \
    2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/cdrecord_log

or

  xorriso -scsi_log on -report_about debug -indev /dev/rcd0d -toc \
    2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso_log

The logs will tell commands out of SCSI volumes SPC, SBC, MMC,
and the reaction of the drive. (I did not test the cdrecord command.)
Expect several hundred lines of text.

> atabus1 at cmdide0 channel 1
> atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <CRD-8322B, 1998/09/24, 1.05> cdrom removable
> wdc_atapi_intr: bad data phase DATAOUT
> cmdide0:1:0: reset failed
> cmdide0:1:0: unbusy timed out

This looks rather like a bus problem than like firmware
or mechano-optical drive component.

> I have another Sun Ultra 5 that has same configuration

But two identical bus controller failures ?

Maybe the IDE/ATAPI driver has a problem with that hardware ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas