Re: serious performance regression in .41

On 22 May 2014, at 13:27, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:

> In article <0E8BFCFC-C4CD-4CE3-8BAC-22EB8EBD3471%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost>,
> J. Hannken-Illjes <hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost> wrote:
>> On 22 May 2014, at 03:15, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <lljiob$ha3$1%ger.gmane.org@localhost>,
>>> Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:
<snip>
>>> Although this improves the situation the machine still has large pauses.
>>> - compile a kernel with lockdebug.
>>
>> No performance tests with LOCKDEBUG or DEBUG please.  These options
>> are known to be very expensive.
>
> LOCKDEBUG and DEBUG were usable before. Now they are not. They are just
> mentioned here to easily demonstrate the problem.

Ok, so I tried a kernel with DEBUG+LOCKDEBUG and get the same problems
you describe:  every 10 to 20 seconds I get hickups of 1 to 2 seconds.

Christos, just to make it clear:  Do you have these problems when
running a GENERIC or better GENERIC -DIAGNOSTICS kernel?

--
J. Hannken-Illjes - hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost - TU Braunschweig
(Germany)