Re: amd64 kernel, i386 userland

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
Perhaps you are thinking of some other scenario, but I am talking about the scenario that exists if you follow the steps in my first message, and do not follow the steps in my second message, and use a kernel that does not have options MAGICLINKS. In such a case, any attempt to cd /dev or open /dev/console will fail, because /dev will be a dangling symlink.

init should detect this (doesn't it already?) and mount a tmpfs /dev.

init detects the absence of /dev/console, and tries to mount a tmpfs /dev, but the first step in that process is chdir("/dev"), which fails when /dev is a dangling symlink.

--apb (Alan Barrett)