Re: amd64 kernel, i386 userland

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:03:03AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> It's ugly and it will paper over more and more compat32 bugs as
> time passes.  For example, with the exception of the /dev issues,
> as far as I can tell everything you've had trouble with is a failure
> to properly translate system call or ioctl arguments.

Well, compat32 bugs are still identified, since i386 binaries remain the
default : you need to use an abolsute path to /emul/netbsd64 in order
to call native binaries. And ideed, I've been fixing compat_netbsd32 bugs
despite the /emul/netbsd64 bening available at mine.

The alternative is to switch the whole userland to amd64 at the same time
the kernel is changed. It means the new kernel cannot be tested without
undergoing changes to the system that are difficult to revert. This is
not good practice.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost