Re: UVM crash in NetBSD/i386 PAE with 32 GB of RAM

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 03:27:04AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> >> [...] i386 PAE is inferior to amd64 [...]
>
> > The idea of i386 PAE if that if an i386 lacks some RAM, you can just
> > drop a PAE kernel and add memory.
>
> > Moving the system to amd64 is a bit more work.
>
> How well do "amd64-capable" and "PAE-capable" correlate?  I already
> know, for exmaple, that way more than half my x86 machines are not the
> former.  (Admittedly, most of that "more than half" are incapable, for
> other reasons, of taking enough RAM to have any use for PAE.)

All amd64 systems are PAE-capable. PAE is a bit older, I'm not sure when
it started exactly. At last some non-64bit Xeons have PAE, maybe the
pentium pro (i686) had it too. It's possible that some newer,
low power i386-only processors don't have PAE.