Re: panic: bad dir: mangled entry, fsck: missing dot/dotdot

>>> Can there be some weird file system inconsistency fsck doesn't spot?
>> Yes.  Well, almost certainly.
> So, in case we experience more panics under load on monday, would it
> make sense to dump/newfs/restore the file system?  I.e., can there be
> any inconsistencies that "survive" a dump/restore?

There certainly shouldn't be.  (Well, assuming you mean
"dump/newfs/restore", not "dump/rm -rf */restore".)

But, of course, depending on what made things weird to begin with, it
could potentially happen again, which amounts to much the same thing in
practice.

\ / Ribbon Campaign