Re: Max. number of subdirectories dump

On 08/19/13 17:52, Johnny Billquist wrote:
I confess I have not studied the topic in enough detail. Are there any
research on what strategies are better when it comes to locating files
in a file system in proximity of each other? Is a common directory the
best indicator on where to place files, or is last access time a better
indicator? What about directories them self?
I have not found any, so I just thought about what happens when you create a tarball, use find(1), or simply grep -r. When compiling huge stuff (like kernel+useland) I think common directories are also the best way.

Many people turn off atime (I do, when I do not need it), to get better performance or to treat their SSDs with care.

Anyhow, this step is no official goal, so I don't focus on that now.
When time allows I will implement it. Maybe even after GSoC.

Not entirely perfect perhaps, but you can look at the atime of all
entries in the directory and sort them on that...
Hrm, this requires the most recently used files to be the latest that have been accessed. There worst case (which is not too unlikely I think), could make things worse. But it is a good idea to implement it as option. Experienced users know which way is the best for their fs.

I'll keep this on my optional todo-list.

Manuel