Re: RCU (or equivalent) for NetBSD?

On 3 Mar, 2013, at 14:37 , Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 12:53:01PM +0800, Dennis Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> Could the NetBSD kernel now acquire RCU, or RCU-like,
>> infrastructure?  I suspect I am incapable of designing this
>> myself but I have a pretty good idea about what it would
>> usefully enable.
>
> The documentation is poor, but it references a paper which explains
> better -- does pserialize(9) do what you want?

The basic functions seem to be a perfect fit.

The only bit I'm confused about is what the implication of

    The read operations may happen from software interrupt at the
    IPL_SOFTCLOCK symbolic level.

is for an application that wants to use this interface.  Processing of packets
arriving from hardware interfaces is traditionally run at IPL_SOFTNET, is the
above telling me a reader can't use pserialize(9) if it is running at that
level?

Dennis Ferguson