Re: wsdisplay framebuffer info

Hello,

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:03:00 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 02:26:32PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > Anything I missed? Comments?
>
> Looks good and is long overdue!
>
> Not sure if you want to go there in the first step, but I wonder if you
> should add alpha formats along with the x formats, so you can use the same
> description for overlays and similar.

Hmm, maybe the pixel format should just encode the bits and offsets for
each channel, although that would need at least 8 bit for each ( 5+
bits offset, 3+ for number of bits ) so we'd need an uint64_t there,
that way we'd still have a single value to switch() with but can
actually get all the info out of it without lots of enum-esque
#defines.
Also, maybe I shouldn't stick the struct directly into the ioctl() but
do what WSDISPLAYIO_GET_EDID does - pass a struct with a pointer to a
buffer, size of the buffer, and the number of bytes actually filled,
that way we could just add more fields without having to break binary
compatibility.

have fun
Michael