re: KNF and the C preprocessor

> (Okay, that's not quite true.  Using always_inline doesn't necessarily
> mean committing to gcc.  But _depending on_ always_inline does, ISTM.)

there are at least 3 other compilers i'm aware of that support
always_inline attribute, along with many of other GCC specific
features that aren't part of standard C.  pcc, icc and clang,
at least one of which is able to build a working netbsd tree.

ie, if you're willing to be careful about your use of GCC
extensions, you've still got a high chance of working elsewhere.

netbsd is *really not* interested in being wedded to GCC itself,
but we may require that GCC particular extensions exist.

.mrg.