Re: Broadcast traffic on vlans leaks into the parent interface on NetBSD-5.1

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 10:17:23PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Apr 22,  5:50pm, Robert Elz wrote:
>
>      We use ISC's DHCP server.  As third party software, it is designed
> to be portable to many systems.  BPF is a fairly portable interface,
> thus a reasonable interface for it to use.

One thing I discovered long ago, in an operating system far ... well
not NetBSD is that dhcp's use of the bpf (equivalent) caused a data
copy for every received ethernet frame - at considerable cost.
I've NFI whether this happens withthe current code.

Although DHCP has to do strange things in order to acquire the
original lease, renewing it should really only requires packets
with the current IP address.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost