Re: Raidframe and disk strategy

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 03:07:24PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>>
>> Presumably, the underlying disks can use what ever strategy they use for
>> handling queued data, but I'm wondering if there is a particular reason the
>> fcfs strategy was chosen for the raidframe driver as opposed to letting the
>> system administrator pick the strategy?  My particular environment has a
>
> RAIDframe implements its own disk sorting algorithm (several, actually)
> internally.  Why sort twice?

I don't follow this.

  - RAIDframe might not be the only user of the physical disk

  - without thinking too much, it seems that the normal strategies
    should be used to sort requests to RAIDframe, and also the normal
    strategies to sort requests made by RAIDframe to the physical
    disks.  Perhaps the latter should do fairshare between raid and
    other, and keep raid in order.

This is all nonobvious to me and I'd venture that how it really ought to
be is even a research topic.