Re: libquota units

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 06:10:04PM +0200, Edgar Fu? wrote:
 > I was somewhat surprised to learn that with libquota, qv_usage etc.
 > were still in units of what someone called "a constant of nature introduced
 > by DEC", e.g., 512-byte "blocks".
 > Given the fields are 64 bits wide, I would have expected them to be in
 > bytes instead, but there are probably reasons not do do that.
 > So, I would at least expect that to be documented or machine-readable.

libquota's only a transport. Various problems arise if you try to
rescale the terms the FS wants to think in - not necessarily critical
ones, but I didn't think of it at the time, and it's too late to
rework the interface, at least for -6.

(Also, "block" sizes other than 512 are, still, an internal minefield
in the kernel.)

What's a reasonable step to take at this point? Add a function
quota_objtype_unitsize() that returns 512?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost