Re: config syntax for modules

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:31:03AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> As has been previously suggested, I am planning to add module syntax
> to config(1); namely "module options FOO" and "module dev* at bus?"
> and so forth, to indicate that the element so named should be built as
> a module.

I've always thought that it ought to be possible to user 'ld -r'
to add a module's object into a 'not fully fixed up' kernel.o.

This would mean the kernel build would first generate kernel.o and
a load of foo.o then link the required foo.o into the final kernel.

You then get the choice of building all the modules, or just those
that are needed for the full kernel (or explicitly requested).

It also would allow a user to add additional module objects
onto a pre-built kernel (provided they have the kernel.o file
as well as the kernel itself).

One serious problem is the sheer number of kernel build options.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost