Re: extattr namespaces

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> Here is public disuccsion about extended attributs namespaces, following
> a private request from yamt@
>
> We ahve two extended attributes API in tree: one from FreeBSD and one from
> Linux. We are about to toss the FreeBSD one in favor of the Linux one.
> That is easy now since we never had working extended attributes in a
> release.

In order to have a sane conversation about what type of extended
attributes we want to support it would be nice to know why we need them in
the first place.  How are they going to be used?  What filesystems will be
supporting them?  What happens when files with extended attributes get
copied across different filesystems?

Eduardo