Re: kmem change related trouble

On 02/02/2012 12:28 AM, Lars Heidieker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just posted a patch ( http://www.netbsd.org/~para/fix.patch )
> - It moves uareas and buffer cache back to the kernel_map restoring
> the previous behavior. Sizing the kmem_arena is changed accordingly
> (Something I stepped on while checking evbmips on gxemul).
> - Code to drain pools if the kmem_arena runs out of space.

As the kmem_arena size is sized by nkmempages, this sizing needs review
for certain archs.
As pool_allocations that used the pool_alocator_nointr are allocating
from the arena.

amd64: we are fine with the direct mapped segment
i386: should increase NKMEMPAGES_MAX_DEFAULT for about 256mb to 320mb
sparc64: the limit needs to be raised
sparc: the limit needs to be raised
mips: should be fine with direct mapped segment
vax: a raise is likely to be required

For machines with limited memory and therefor small kmem_arena we might
want to reduce the amount of quantum-caching that is done in the
kmem_va_arena

Lars