Re: Equivalent of Linux Workqueues

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:24:33AM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Hello
>
> Another caveat with DADHI porting: that require something like
> Linux Workqueues feature:
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/device-drivers/ch01s06.html
> (It only uses schedule_work, cancel_work_sync and flush_work).
>
> This is about queuing function execution, cancel it, or wait for it
> to complete,  Do we have something similar in our kernel, or should
> I implement a dedicated thread with a queue of functions to run?

Others have already mentioned workqueue(9).  I find it difficult to use,
myself.  Sometimes I have used softint(9), instead, as in ixgbe(4) where
I was ported a FreeBSD driver that used taskqueues to NetBSD.

On a related note, it would be very nice if somebody would write an
implementation of kcont(9) that Matt Thomas proposes at
<http://www.netbsd.org/~matt/smpnet.html#kcont>.

Dave

--
David Young