Re: fifo and [acm]time

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
Is one inode update per minute enough to be a significant issue?

It means the disk must continue spinning and, e.g., will continue to draw power from a laptop battery to do so, even when the system is functionally idle.

I think that's a more general problem. It would be nice if all updates to atime/mtime/ctime could be buffered in memory (not committed to stable storage) until either the disk happens to be spinning anyway, or the amount of memory "wasted" in buffering the updates is too large, or the updates are forced using a mechanism like fsync(2) or sync(2).

I even want syslogd's writes to /var/log/messages to be buffered until the disk happens to be spinning anyway.

--apb (Alan Barrett)