Re: RFC: import of posix_spawn GSoC results

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> during this years Summer of Code Charles Zhang and I implemented the
> posix_spawn syscall. We are now at a point that, with some further minor
> cleanup and debugging, this is ready to commit. The main changes are pretty
> local, but to avoid code duplication a few of the existing file operations
> had to be modified, and this causes changes literally all over the tree.
>
> Let's look at it from a userland perspective first: what use is posix_spawn?
> Historically the fork/exec model used in unix has been pretty efficient,
> and later variants of it (vfork, some call it a hack) have made it even
> more efficient. Nowadays, with a lot of multithreaded applications, neither
> fits well. So posix_spwawn was invented, and it is realy simple to use.
> A minimalistic test program is:

[snip]

> So, please have a look, all comments welcome.

I can't see any test cases in newfiles.tar.gz. Maybe we should have
posix_spawn test cases before import.

Is RUMP working/buildable with your changes ?

--

Regards.

Adam