Re: Lost file-system story

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:48:51AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 > >> There have of course also been some pretty serious bugs in various fsck
 > >> implementations across the years and vendors.
 > >
 > > I'd be suspicious of fsck failing on a regularly mounted disk with
 > > corruption that can't otherwise be tracked to outside influences (bad
 > > ram, bad disk cache, etc). I've seen some bizarre things happen on ram
 > > errors over the years for instance.
 >
 > I've got infinite sequence of nested subdirectories on new hardware and
 > "stable" FreeBSD 5.3 once. Something like http://xkcd.com/981/
 > fsck refused to work there.

At one point some time back when pounding on rename, I got a test
volume into a state where if you ran fsck -fy it would "fix" a ton of
stuff, run to completion, and mark the fs clean. Which was great,
except that if you did it again, it would do the same thing. Over and
over. I'm glad it was a test volume...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost