Re: Use consistent errno for read(2) failure on directories

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 09:33:54AM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
 > According to the online OpenGroup specification for read(2) available
 > at [1], read(2) on directories is implementation dependant. If
 > unsupported, it shall fail with EISDIR.
 >
 > Not all our file systems comply, and return random errno values in
 > this case (mostly EINVAL or ENOTSUP).
 >
 > The attached patch fix some of them (the ones i have access to),
 > adjust the man page accordingly and add a small testcase to exercize
 > this.
 >
 > Is it ok to apply ?

Yes, although I'm wondering if maybe it wouldn't be better to insert a
filesystem-independent check and give up on the old ffs behavior.
After all, application writers have had what, 25 years now? to learn
not to do this.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost