Re: Using event counters with network interfaces, is there a reason they're all ifdefed out of mainline use?

> drivers.  Is there a reason all of these counting facilities are not
> enabled by default in GENERIC kernels?  Does using these counters impose such
> performance penalty that general use was deemed too crippling?

Do you try any benchmark? (by ttcp(1) etc.)

During mec(4) (on sgimips O2) debugging, enabling evcnts made
network xfer notably slower, but probably it depends on how many
counters the driver has and how often they are called.

I think we need benchmark results per interfaces
rather than blindly enabling counters, because
most ordinary users don't care driver internals
but just visible xfer rates.

---
Izumi Tsutsui