Re: Lost file-system story

        Hello.  Just for your edification, it is possible to break out of fsck
mid-way and reinvoke it with fsck -y to get it to do the cleaning on its
own.

        With regard to your notes on speed with NetBSD versus OpenBSD,  I
suspect the speed trade off is where the difference is.  OpenBSD is
flushing buffers to disk more frequently than NetBSD is, and thus the
filesystem is more complete with respect to what is on disk.  Since you
readily admit that you are a rare case, might I suggest that there may be
an easy way for you to have your cake and eat it too. That is, get the
speed and performance of NetBSD with the relative reliability, which may
have been luck -- I'm not sure, with OpenBSD.  You could write yourself a
little program, or find an old version of update(8) from old source trees,
which runs as a daemon and calls sync(2) every n seconds where n is what
ever comfort level you deem appropriate.  I believe that when you call
sync(2), even async mounted filesystem data is flushed.  With that program
running, I'd be interested in having you retry your experiment with NetBSD
and see if your results differ.

-Brian