Re: Importing chewiefs

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 05:03:36PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
 > >If no one argues otherwise, I would like to import chewiefs to the NetBSD
 > >tree.
 > >
 > >The import would have minimal impact on existing code, but would
 > >allow for broader testing of the code and a step towards a more
 > >embedded ready NetBSD.
 >
 > I think that we should choose a more descriptive name for it. Having
 > cute project names is good during development, but we need meaningful
 > names for posterity that make sense to people. Imagine if we had named
 > nfs cutefs, ffs kirkfs, etc.

Descriptive doesn't work well if there's more than one thing that
matches the description. A name that's easy to remember often works
better in the long run. How many things called 'xfs' have there been?
How confusing would it have been if there had been lots of network
file systems before "nfs" got clearly established as something
specific? Etc. etc. Proper nouns are arbitrary tags; naming is hard.

Also it's up to the guys who wrote the thing to decide what to call
it.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost