Re: sysctl(7) knob to allow users to control CPU affinity

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 03:33:02 -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
i think the default should be changed, but user-specified affinity
shouldn't be considered an absolute rule, just a preference. i'm not
sure i understand exactly what sort of issue you're envisioning.

I assumed there could be issues since pset(3) is restricted to the
superuser (as well as pthread_setaffinity_np(3) now), but when
rethinking about it I admit not seeing a problem as non-privileged
processes cannot change the process priority beyond their class'
priority.

The only other case that comes to my mind would be a dmover(9) like
system eventually reserving processor(s) for dedicated tasks, but I
guess that in this case the reserved cores would simply be made
unavailable in cpuctl(8)/pset(3)/etc...

What do you mean? A unified resource control API for kernel and userland processes/LWPs?

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost