Re: core's decision on modular kernels

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:08:02AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 08:53:53AM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > What is the difference between MONOLITHIC and MODULAR with 'built-in'
> > modules? And wouldn't the latter be a better aim??
>
> I think that by MODULAR with built-in modules, you mean a barebones
> kernel linked with some .kmod's?  I would love to see that.  What has to
> happen to make it so?

Probably just some 'round tuits'.
Mostly in the area of config() and the kernel makefile.

First stage would be linking an existing kmod into the kernel and sorting
out the required data area linkage to get it initialised.

I've really not had enough time to play recently.
Maybe some wet winter weekends ...

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost