Re: autoclean mode for tmpfs

        Hello.  I don't know about others, but I rely heavily on the daily and
weekly scripts to clean out /tmp and /var/tmp, and have done so for many
years.  I'm always creating temporary files I don't need for long periods
of time, but don't want them to necessarily disappear immediately.  The
cleaners do this for me by insuring that if the files aren't access for 3
days in /tmp or 7 days in /var/tmp, they are magically removed.  I know
this behavior exists, and things that need to stay around permanently get
put in their appropriate location.  With the cleaner in place, I get a
grace period to decide whether it is permanent or not.
        It sounds like the cleaning scripts may need to be modified to clean
the common directory spaces more safely, but that the current filesysten
operations do provide a way for those scripts to  clean safely.  I'd rather
see the scrips changed to behave safely rather than a bunch of filesystem
calls and/or functional changes made at the filesystem level to solve a
problem which it seems could be argued may or may not exist in the current
environment.  I'm not a user of tmpfs, but I assume it implements the
sticky-bit append-only functionality of the ufs filesystems?  If not, then
perhaps putting that in place would solve most of the issues?

-Brian