Re: RFC: New security model secmodel_securechroot(9)

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 12:03:50PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> DESCRIPTION
>      The securechroot security model is intended to protect the system
>      against destructive modifications by chroot-ed processes.  If
>      enabled, secmodel_securechroot applies the following restrictions
>      to chroot-ed processes.

Don't repeat "not allowed" over and over again. I would also suggest to
split the list into:

(1) Things a process running as UID 0 is normally allowed to do.
(2) Things a process not running as UID 0 is normally allowed to do.

>      ·   Module requests are not allowed.

Does this include automatic loading of modules as side effect of actions
or not?

>      ·   Processor-set manipulation is not allowed.

Please cross reference what you mean here (cpuctl(8), I take?)

>      ·   Changing coredump settings for set-id processes is not allowed.

Does this mean setrlimit(2) is prohibited for disabling core dumps?

>      ·   Access to a process using ptrace(2) and ktrace(2) is allowed
>          only if it belongs to the same chroot.

It might be useful to clarify what "same chroot" means here and move
them to a separate list under this definition.

>      ·   Decreasing process nice is not allowed.
>
>      ·   Setting the scheduler affinity, policy, and parameters is not
>          allowed.

I think this is too restrictive. Prohibiting use of real time priorities
is fine, but otherwise it is valid (and safe) to do thread pinning etc.

>      ·   Setting the process resource limits is not allowed.

Lowering should still be possible.

>      ·   Firewall-related operations such as modification of packet
>          filtering rules or modification of NAT rules are not allowed.

Table manipulation is a valid use case of a chroot, especially a
restricted chroot. Consider FTP proxies as example.

>      ·   Routing-related requests are not allowed.

Obtaining the routing table is sometimes needed for proper operation.

Joerg