Strange behaviour

The system: dual-12-core AMD Opteron-6172 (total 24 cores at 3.2GHz), and 32GB RAM. (The motherboard is a ASUS KGPE-D16).

While running a 'build.sh -j48 release' I notice that there seems to be a rather excessive amount of "System Time". Running systat(1) I can see long periods of 60% to 70% (or even more), while at no time do I ever get more than 15% to 20% of user time. The only thing that seems to be running (according to vmstat) at many thousands of "Global TLB IPI" interrupts, although Interrupt time is mostly invisible. (It never shows up more than 1% or 2% on systat, and a xosview never shows any interrupt time at all.) Other than the 5K to 10K (with occassional bursts of 18K) TLB IPI, the only other interrupt activity is a few hundred disk interrupts, and maybe a few dozen network interrupts.

Is this expected behavior?

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |