Re: extent-patch and overview of what is supposed to follow

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 10:37:37AM +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

> I am not convinced about statistics point.  For intensive allocations,
> constant-sized pool_cache(9) should/would be used, where it already
> gathers statistics.  If there is some particular need for statistics,
> one can always collect it at the caller's level.  Therefore, I do not
> see the need to invade allocator's API for that.

We shouldn't just consider statistics anyway, there were some useful
malloc debug facilities which allowed you to know what memory had been
allocated to what process.  I had extended that so you could tell what
processes had allocated next to the region of interest - I used this to
nail a rather nasty buffer overflow that was stomping on the memory
allocations of innocent parties.  I don't know how I could have tracked
that bug down without the level of information available from the malloc
debug logs.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: