Re: GSoC 2011 project proposal [Add kqueue support to GIO]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Jean-Yves Migeon
<jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
> On 29.03.2011 17:35, Julio Merino wrote:
>> As far as I know, you are right, kqueue won't work to monitor trees.
>[...]
>> Does inotify support this?
>
> IIRC, inotify does, but not at the API level; given a path, it lists
> subdirs, and register an event for each one recursively. IMHO, this is
> the sanest and safest way, but that can make many, many filedes :)

The manual page says:

"Inotify monitoring of directories is not recursive: to monitor
subdirectories under a directory, additional watches must be created."

Therefore, if inotify per se does not support this feature (aka
recursive monitoring of trees), I would not worry at all about
implementing something like this in kqueue land.  After all, no
program is gonna use this feature if inotify does not have it!
Creating additional watches for all subdirectories in a tree seems a
reasonable compromise even if it takes many filedes.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv