Re: kernel messages and rump

On Wed Jan 12 2011 at 15:36:02 +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm playing with rump, and more specifically rump_ffs.
> The mount is rejected (as expected) because the fs image has a feature
> which is not yet in the kernel. It's rejected by this code:
>         if (fs->fs_flags & ~(FS_KNOWN_FLAGS | FS_INTERNAL)) {
>                 uprintf("%s: unknown ufs flags: 0x%08"PRIx32"%s\n",
>                     mp->mnt_stat.f_mntonname, fs->fs_flags,
>                     (mp->mnt_flag & MNT_FORCE) ? "" : ", not mounting");
>                 if ((mp->mnt_flag & MNT_FORCE) == 0) {
>                         mutex_exit(&ump->um_lock);
>                         return (EINVAL);
>                 }
>         }
> but even with RUMP_VERBOSE I never see the uprintf(). Where does it do, and
> is there a way to make rump print it (I guess it should just go to
> stderr) ?

It goes to the same place as for any process without a tty: the bitbucket.

To properly support uprintf, there are at least two things to consider:

  1) is the calling process local or remote
  2) does the kernel include rumpkern_tty support

If you want a quick solution, file a PR and add ifdefs to the uprint
routines in subr_prf.c to make them behave like kprintf(TOCONS).

--
älä karot toivorikkauttas, kyl rätei ja lumpui piisaa