Re: radix tree implementation for quota ?

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:10:32AM -0600, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > You're suggesting I should include Berkeley DB in the kernel, right ?
>
> No, wouldn't the kernel just deliver UIDs and usages?

Yes, but this needs to be stored somewhere on a stable storage too
(and the kernel needs to update it in real time, or you have to run quotackeck
on every boot)

> Why would you want more than that in the kernel?

the kernel also needs to compare current usage to limits on fileystem
operations that changes usages. We can either forward the check to a userland
daemon (which looks like could become a bottleneck) or make the
check in kernel (but then the kernel has to know about limits too).