Re: <module>.prop rename

On Apr 12,  5:11pm, David Holland wrote:
} On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:33:00AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
}  >      .prop is short for proplib or property list.  It also made
}  > coding easier as s/.kmod/.prop/ doesn't change the length of the path.
}  > Anyways, I have received several private requests to change the name to
}  > <module>.plist.  After thinking about it, I believe this to be a good
}  > idea.  It seems that .plist is a somewhat standard extension for a file
}  > that contains a property list (see Wikipedia).
}
} I don't care one way or the other about the name but I have a
} different suggestion: since, nominally, serialized proplib files
} aren't supposed to be hand-edited, wouldn't it make more sense to

     That doesn't mean that people can't hand-edit them.  Also, they
can be generated using 'modload -p'.

} embed the property info in the module file itself?

     That may or may not make more sense, but it would require a lot
more work (i.e. inventing a tool to extract them, edit them, and insert
them; and modifying the module loading code to extract them).  I have
very little interest in doing that work at this time.

}-- End of excerpt from David Holland