Re: mutexes, locks and so on...

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:31:51PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> But you could perhaps argue that this is a bug in itself, and
> mutex_vector_enter should not take a spin mutex on its own when a
> mutex_spin_enter function exist.

I don't think that's right.  I don't believe spin mutexes are _required_
to be taken with mutex_spin_enter() -- mutex_enter() should work fine.
It has to, because it is supposed to be invisible to the programmer
whether mutexes are spin or adaptive, except for the initial IPL used
to allocate them.

At least, that is how I understand it.  Which may be wrong.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart