Re: pmap_extract(9) (was Re: xmd(4) (Re: XIP))

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 08:53:12AM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> >> We've had pmaps which have tried to pretend they were pmaps for some
> >> other architecture (that is, that some parts of the pmap weren't
> >> best left MD).  For example, we used to have a lot of pmaps in our
> >> tree that sort of treated the whole world like a 68K MMU.
> >>
> >> Performance has not been so great.  And besides, what -are- you going
> >> to do, in an MI way, about synchronization against hardware lookup?
> >
> > Do you mean synchronization among processors?
>
> No.  For instance, on PPC OEA processors the CPU will write back to
> the reverse page table entries to update the REF/MOD bits.  This
> requires the pmap to use the PPC equivalent of LL/SC to update PTEs.
>
> For normal page tables with hardware lookup like ARM the MMU will
> read the L1 page table to find the address of the L2 page tables
> and then read the actual PTE.  All of this happens without any sort
> of locking so updates need to be done in a lockless manner to have
> a coherent view of the page tables.
>
> On a TLB base MMU, the TLB miss handler will run without locking
> which requires an always coherent page lookup (typically page table)
> where entries (either PTEs or page table pointers) are updated using
> using lockless primitives (CAS).  THis is even more critical as we
> deal with more MP platform where lookups on one CPU may be happening
> in parallel with updates on another.

So, in either design, we have to carefully update page tables by
atomic operations.

But even with it done so, the whole fault resolution can be done
in once shot in slow paths - like paging (I/O) or COW.  There are
consistencies between VAs sharing one PA, or CPUs sharing one VA.
And we resolve these dirty works one by one.  My concern is more
about the order of those operations.

I think what's going wrong in fault handling is, UVM doesn't teach
enough information to pmap during fault handling, and it calls
pmap_enter() with only a few clues.  Thus pmap has lots of problems
to solve at once.

I guess if UVM tells pmap right information at right timing, and solve
one thing at a time, pmap_enter() would become pretty much simple
operation - place the new PTE.  All the needed information is in
MI UVM structures.  Why not use them.