Re: kicking everybody out of the softc

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 06:43:20AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

> thanks for looking into this problem.  we need a solution.

No problem.

> would device_lookup() and device_lookup_private() take a reference
> on this count automatically?  or maybe some new API that does it,
> to avoid the need to audit every driver at once.

Thanks for asking the question.  Device_lookup() needs to
device_acquire(dv) before dropping its lock on the cfdriver_t array[1]
and returning dv.

I had planned to audit all of the drivers, but that could get out of
hand.  I like your idea of using a new API.  I'll give it some thought.

Dave

[1] Actually, it takes the alldevs lock, today.  Finer locking
    granularity, such as a cfdriver_t lock, is desirable!