Re: Locking for module_autoload() (was: Modules loading modules?)

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Adam Hamsik wrote:

On Aug,Monday 2 2010, at 4:27 AM, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, John Nemeth wrote:

   I'm thinking the acquisition of module_lock should be pushed into
module_autoload() instead of having the caller acquire it for this very
reason.  It makes it hard to change the way locking works in the
MODULAR code if you expect the caller to acquire the lock.  I don't
know why it was done this way originally, or what the consequences (if
any) would be for making the change.  Andrew, any thoughts on this?

Attached are diffs for moving the locking out of each caller and into
module_autoload() itself.  Most of these changes are fairly trivial, but a
couple of them should be looked at more closely in case I've missed any
subtleties in the original code:

        kern/kern_syscall.c
        net/if_ppp.c

I think that this patch has same problem as original code you can call module_autoload twice in same lwp. (you are holding module_lock while calling module_do_load).

This patch wasn;t intended to solve the nested-call problem. This patch only purpose was to modify the existing semantics of the module_autoload routine to match that of the other module routines. In particular, module_autoload is the only routine that requires its caller to acquire the mutex first; all the other routines do all the required locking internally to each routine.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |