Re: RFC: device flavours

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:23:04AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:56:23AM +0000, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > "For free" is a subjective thing.  I don't think using device_register()
> > --which is a MD callback--to pass information between two MI drivers is
> > free.
>
> Well, using a MD callback to attach MD information from ACPI somehow
> makes sense to me.

Information is just what it is, information.  It becomes MD only when
something tries to interpret it, and that's the job of the ISA backend
through the bus_space functions and the interrupt stuff.

> FWIW, what David outlines is pretty close to the way i2c direct config
> works in -current.

Your point is?  In David's scheme, the ichlpc driver has to do the work
to attach the pcib driver and said work has to be replicated in every
other variant, and you still need a generic variant to attach the actual
pcib driver when none of the *pcib drivers match.  And after that, the
pcib driver will have to know that it might be on an ACPI system and
thus can fetch information there.  Think what you want, but to me it is
nonsense and that's exactly what I am trying to find a solution to here.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost