Re: The missing membar_X() directive

> IIRC, you cannot implement RCU in non GPL software (unless IBM gives
> approval for it).

Why not?

Even if it's patented, it's unlikely to be patented anywhere but the
USA (certainly the Wikipedia page gives no reason to think so); there's
no reason the rest of the world should have to suffer the
boneheadedness the USA has chosen to impose on itself.

Since NetBSD is a USA entity, there _is_ a reason for NetBSD to put up
with the USA's idiocies, but I see no reason someone in the sane world
can't implement it and make patches (to NetBSD or anything else)
available.

I suspect the USA patent is invalid, too, though (especially given its
date) it's unlikely anyone with deep enough pockets to take it on
cares.

\ / Ribbon Campaign