Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost>
wrote:
> At Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:56:36 +0000 (GMT), Iain Hibbert
> <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs
>>
>> So, you want to be able to mount a disk by the label:
>>
>>   $ mount -t msdosfs -o label "foobar" /external_disk_foobar
>
> Yes, something like that, using fs_volname of course.  I've wanted this
> kind of feature for decades.

While I understand usefulness of human-readable labels, I don't think
it should be handled in kernel.  Because labels are arbitrary.  They
are not ensured to be unique.

I think labels should be resolved by some name service.  It's not
different than /etc/hosts -> IP address.

Masao