Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

Quentin Garnier wrote:
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:14:09PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Quentin Garnier wrote:
[...]
My answer only intended to show that the device enumeration isn't
random, depending on if you add/remove other devices, which is what
Masao was claiming.

Your answer only says that device enumeration is deterministic.  Nobody
said that it wasn't.  I know autoconf(9) hasn't aged very well, but it's
not that bad.  Yet.

Masao said exactly that. Or rather, that it wasn't possible to get the same device number for a specific device facing other changes in the hardware configuration.

        Johnny